Active shooters can appear in public places such as movie theaters and shopping malls or in private workplaces. No matter where you are, remain as calm as possible and remember:
- Be aware of any possible danger in your environment
- Identify the two nearest exits
- If you can flee, do so immediately—leave belongings behind
- If you cannot flee, hide in an area where the shooter can’t see you
- If you are behind a door, try to lock or block entry to it • Silence electronic devices
- As a last resort, try to incapacitate the shooter. Keep moving and be distracting. In close range situations, fighting increases your chance of survival.
- Call 911 as soon as you can do so safely